Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Hot sulphur springs and waterfalls

Dominica's volcanic landscape, hot sulphur springs, waterfalls, and inland lakes are a draw for nature lovers. There are many hiking trails and natural attractions on this island, and I couldn't wait to get started. That meant that I was on my own, as Gil's back 'went out,' and he needed to stay back on the boat to nurse it back to health.

I chose to walk into the town of Rosseau to take a city bus to the small community of Wotten Waven, where there are several hot sulphur springs. I found one that had several pools, ranging from very hot to refreshingly cool. With greenery all around, I luxuriated in these soothing spring pools.




I had initially planned to take a return bus to Rosseau, but while chatting with one of the local people, I learned that Trafalgar Falls was only about a half hour walk away... sooo, why not? That half hour walk felt to be entirely uphill, but I found my way there. 

Mother Falls

Trafalgar Falls are twin waterfalls called the Mother (75ft) and Father (125ft) Falls, and are said to be one of Dominica's most popular attractions. I met only two other visitors?! The hike to these falls takes you through lush rain forest and it is relatively easy. 

twin Trafalgar Falls

Father Falls

bromelaids

??? never seen these and don't know what they are??

The sun was getting low in the sky and it was time to get back to Gil and the boat. To catch a city bus back to Rosseau I needed to walk back to the village of Trafalgar. It was a longer walk than I expected, but at least it was all downhill! I loved the bus stop....


The wait at this bus stop was longer than expected also, but I did get back to the boat in time for sundowners and moon uppers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment